Friday, September 23, 2011

Cabbage Rolls


We looooooove cabbage rolls. So since it's been cooler and rainy here lately I decided to make some. This is the way my Mom used to make them. This is a true comfort food! I have been making these for my husbands work crew every Christmas for 20 years. Normally everything is just thrown together but for the purpose of this blog I will give measurements.

Cabbage Rolls
(Printable Recipe)

1 head of cabbage with fairly large leaves
1 lb of ground lean ground beef
1 lb of grouind pork
1 cup Uncle Ben's long grain rice
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sage

2 10oz. cans Heinz tomato soup
1 48 oz. can tomato juice

Remove the core from the cabbage. This makes taking the leaves off as they steam much easier. Steam cabbage in a large covered pot to loosen off leaves. Set aside until cool enough to handle. In large stand mixer (or by hand in large bowl), mix together ground beef, pork, rice diced onion, diced pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder and sage until thoroughly combined. Pour some of the tomato juice into a roasting pan to just to cover bottom. Place 2-3 tablespoons of meat mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll up tucking in sides as you go. Place cabbage rolls in pan. Once all the rolls are in pan pour the two cans of Heinz tomato soup over then the rest of the can of tomato juice. This will make you sauce. Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper and place unused cabbge leaves over the top. This prevents over browning. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Enjoy!


We find they are always better the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Y-u-u-u-um! Gosh they look so delicious.Thanks for sharing your recipe. I think I'll whip up a batch and try them with my co-workers as well. I bet they'll ask for the recipe. And ya know what I'll give 'em? The link to this blog!  ツ

    ReplyDelete